WIC and Nutrition Services
Happy Baby Initiative*
Help in coping with fussy, crying babies
A program to help strengthen the bond between parents and children and to create happier, healthier families. Attend educator-led classes for parents and learn about five calming techniques – the Five S's:
- Swaddling – Wrapping an infant to promote the calming reflex
- Side / Stomach positioning – Turning on the calming reflex
- Shushing – Mimicking the sound of the womb
- Swinging – Mimicking the motion of the infant in the womb
- Sucking – Helping babies calm themselves
The Happy Baby Initiative is provided at Family Health Council WIC sites to women who meet WIC eligibility requirements
and to child-focused groups who request training.
Happy Baby services include:
- Demonstration and instruction on the "Five S's of Baby Calming"
- Loaner DVD's and "White Noise" CD's
- Handouts on the Five S's
for more information.
Find out how to apply for WIC
or call 1-800-WIC-WINS (1-800-942-9467) to locate the nearest WIC office.
*Based on Happiest Baby on the Block Program.